When I was a child, we ate pretty healthy in our household. For the most part, we had well-balanced meals that included vegetables, fruit, grains and lean protein. However, we also had our indulgences.
Although all of us enjoyed each others’ guilty pleasures, each of us had our personal favorites. If you were to ask my mom, her weakness was Lay’s Potato Chips. By nature, she always craved savory foods over sweet foods. If you were to ask my dad, he probably would have said chocolate ice cream, as he craved sweets. And although I loved chocolate ice cream and potato chips (especially dipped in ketchup – don’t ask), I had a terrible weakness for Double Stuf Oreos and Chips Ahoy cookies with a big glass of milk.
Back then, I could down a whole sleeve of Chips Ahoy cookies (that was 6 1/2 servings of the little devils!) or 1/2 a package of Double Stuf, without much thought. Today, however, those moments of eating a few of these cookies, let alone a half a package, comes few and far between. Here’s why:
- Metabolism and Calories Burned: My metabolism was cranking and my activity levels were much higher when I was younger. Unfortunately, this holds true for all of us. Is a matter of fact the average adult sees a 2% – 5% reduction in metabolic rate every 10 years. This means that we metabolize the calories we ingest at a slower rate. A sleeve of cookies might look great on a 12 year old, but not so much on a 50 year old!
- New Perspective: Just the idea of eating these cookies isn’t really that appealing. The less you eat junk food, the less you crave it. The more healthy you eat, the easier it is to avoid these types of foods. And frankly, when you DO indulge in crappy food, you often end up feeling like crap. It just isn’t worth it.
- Quality of Ingredients: As I’ve become more aware of the ingredients I eat, it is absolutely clear to me that Nabisco, for all intents and purposes, doesn’t really use ingredients of which I’m a huge fan. Both Double Stuf and Chips Ahoy contain tons of refined sugar and flour, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial flavors, while Chips Ahoy can additionally contain partially hydrogenated oils. If I’m going to indulge in something tasty, I’d much rather have higher quality ingredients that are less processed. Not only will the treat taste better, but it won’t be nearly as bad for you, AND you won’t need as much to feel satisfied.
Now, you may think I’m a health freak, but in reality, I LOVE to indulge. I just rather indulge in things that are REALLY satisfying.
What junk food did you over indulge in as a kid? Do you still eat it? How have you changed as you’ve gotten older?
- 5 Ingredients to Avoid
- Your Solution Guide to HFCS
- Counting Calories is Overrated
- 8 Shocking Facts about Sugar
- Eat Like Crap = Feel Like Crap
- What Makes a Healthy Diet?
- Who’s to blame for Childhood Obesity?
- Join Sheer Balance