As we embark on the New Year, I shared a few of my recommended changes from 52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You with Better Connecticut viewers.
Although the book covers 52 full changes, the five I cover include the following:
- Be a Bean Counter: Eat 1/2 cup of beans a day or 3 cups of beans a week. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber and are high in nutrients making them a super food.
- Keep it Clean and Green: Avoid toxic chemicals in your household and instead, opt for all natural options, such as vinegar, baking soda and lemon. Or, if you choose, purchase household cleaners that aren’t as harsh.
- Nuts, Seeds, Oils, Oh My!: Enjoy healthy, monounsaturated fats. These can be found in nuts, seeds, and fatty fruits, including avocado and olives. Also, canola oil and olive oil are good sources as well.
- Here Comes the Sun: Protect your skin from harmful rays with sunscreen, or better, sunblock. Also, make sure you use hats to add protection to your face.
- Downshift Your Dairy: Choose lower fat dairy options for your milk, cheese and yogurt. This will help to decrease your intake of saturated fat.