Maintaining a healthy diet on the road is hard enough, but if you require gluten-free restaurants, are vegan or vegetarian, or suffer from food allergies, it becomes exponentially more difficult. Business travel doesn’t mean you have to forgo your dietary choices or requirements, but it does take some planning. The good news: more and more resources are popping up to help individuals looking for health options.
- VegGuide.org: VegGuide.Org is a community-maintained, world-wide guide to vegetarian and vegan restaurants, grocers, and more. It allows you to drill down into various regions of the world until you find the city you are looking for. It also gives you listings, ratings, and maps where eating establishments are located. There database lists over 12,000 vegetarian and vegan restaurants and eating establishments around the world, including airports.
- HappyCow.Net: Mostly focused on vegetarian restaurants, the HappyCow lists almost 14,000 vegetarian and vegetarian friendly restaurants for travelers. They also seem to track your IP address and display establishments located in your area on the home page.
- VegDining.Com: Also focused on vegetarian restaurants, this site provides global look up. They also offer the VegDining Card, which offers discounts at vegetarian restaurants around the world, including restaurants in Europe, South America, Africa, Australia, Asia and throughout North America with more joining every week.
For those of you who have allergies, or require gluten-free restaurants, the listings aren’t as extensive. They are mostly United States based. Nonetheless, these are helpful resources you can use while on the road:
- AllergyEats.com: For those with any food allergies, this is your resource for in the United States! It is a comprehensive, user-friendly guide to allergy-friendly restaurants across the United States. It is a peer-reviewed directory of restaurants – rated by people with food allergies, for people with food allergies. It has over 600,000 listings, including those with kids’, gluten-free, and allergy specific information.
- GlutenFreeRestaurants.org: The Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program (GFRAP) provides listings in North America of 1620 participating gluten-free restaurants.
- GlutenFreeRegistry.com: What I love about this site, is that they also have Apps you can use on your iPhone/iPad, Android and other mobile devices. They have a database of 18,000+ restaurants, bakeries, grocers, caterers and other businesses that appeal to those who need gluten-free food.
- OrganicHighways.com: For those of you who want organic cuisine, this site allows you to search for restaurants that serve organic cuisine. You can also do an advanced search for food allergies as well.
- AllerDine.com: Another site dedicated to North America, this site allows you to search by city and by keyword. They seem pretty new and aren’t as robust as some of those listed above.
Have you tried any of these resources? Have you liked them?