If you are a pasta lover, this pasta dish is sure to please. It is filled with fiber and low in fat. With garlic, basil, parmesan, and kalamata olives, it has a wonderful Mediterranean flavor.
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 12 oz. whole-wheat penne
- Salt and ground pepper
- In a large pot, boil water. Once it reaches a full boil, add penne until it is cooked. Drain, but reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 3 – 4 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in artichokes and cook until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add olives and half of the tomatoes; cook until tomatoes start to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pasta to skillet. Stir in remaining tomatoes, oil, cheese, and basil. Thin with reserved pasta water if necessary to coat the pasta. Serve with additional cheese.