When embarking on change it is important to be realistic about what you hope to accomplish. Here are five tips I shared on Fox-25 Boston from my 52 Small Changes Arsenal.
- Be a Bean Counter: Eat 1/2 cup of beans a day or 3 cups of beans a week. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber and are high in nutrients making them a super food.
- Keep it Clean and Green: Avoid toxic chemicals in your household and instead, opt for all natural options, such as vinegar, baking soda and lemon. Or, if you choose, purchase household cleaners that aren’t as harsh.
- Nuts, Seeds, Oils, Oh My!: Enjoy healthy, monounsaturated fats. These can be found in nuts, seeds, and fatty fruits, including avocado and olives. Also, canola oil and olive oil are good sources as well.
- Here Comes the Sun: Protect your skin from harmful rays with sunscreen, or better, sunblock. Also, make sure you use hats to add protection to your face.
- Read the Labels: Labels are the key to making smart decisions at the Grocery Store. 40% of individuals don’t read the fact label and 50% don’t read the ingredient list. Look for quality ingredients and foods low in sugar and saturated fat.