Back-to-school goes hand-in-hand with shopping for school-supplies. Today, there are so many great companies offering greener, more eco-friendly options for parents, that it seems crazy NOT to take the green route for school supplies. Further, it is a great excuse to teach your children about the importance of reduce, reuse and recycle. This year, consider some of the following options I share on Fox Boston to make your back-to-school shopping greener:
1. Lunch and Snacks: Not only can you reduce waste with these eco-friendly lunchbox supplies, but you’ll also keep lead, BPA and phthalates out of your children’s lunches, snacks and food:
- Certified Compostable sandwich bags from Bio Bag. They are GMO free and contain no polyethylene. They come in both fold over and resealable. There isn’t much regulation around biodegradable, so if you are going to use sandwich bags your child will toss, go for the compostable. – BioBag – Buy Here
- Reusable fabric sandwich, snack and lunch bags: A favorite is by Kids Konserve. They have a whole line of lunch supplies. – Kids Konserve Products – Buy Here
- Stainless steel food containers
- Insulted food jars
- “Food Kozys” to wrap sandwiches and other foods
- Lunch sacs made from recycled plastic bottles or recycled cotton
- Stainless Steel bottles
- Sweat-free, non-toxic and reusable ice packs
- Eco Ditty: Bags that are all 100% organic cotton. PGA and PVC-Free. And low-impact inks for coloring. Eco Ditty – Buy Here
- Kushies: Snack bags made from lead-free, BPA-free and phthalate free fabric. Washable and reusable. Kushies – Buy Here
2. Arts, Crafts and Activities: Keep your kids safe and toxic-free with some of these new green products:
- Wikki Stix. Made of wax-infused yarn. They stick to each other for 3-D creativity. They require no glue or paste, making them less messy than some other types of craft supplies. And, they don’t melt or stain. They are completely reusable too. Wikki Stix – Buy Here
- Glob: (Correction: I say Blob on the video, but it’s Glob)All-natural paints made from fruits, vegetables, flowers and spices with natural ingredients and organic extracts, making them smell good and non-toxic. – Glob – Buy Here
- Paint Kits and sets
- Collage kits
- Coloring illustrations
- Art Pads and more
- One World Fubtol is a virtually indestructible ball, never needing a pump. It won’t go flat, even when punctured multiple times, reducing waste and replacement. One World Futbol – Buy Here
3. Other School Supplies: Even more typical school supplies have gone green. Look for those that are made with high-levels of recycled content. This helps reduce waste and the need for lots of tree cutting.
- Notebooks: Mead offers 100% recycled notebook products. Mead – Buy Here
- Pens: Pilot offers pens now made with recycled bottles. Pilot – Buy Here
- Ink Cartridges: www.castleink.com manufactures ink cartridges for your printer by recycling old, used cartridges. They offer cartridges for virtually all printers.
- Computer and Devices: ReFleece offers iPad and Kindle covers made with 95% recycled material recovered from Patagonia Fleece Jackets.
4. Bags and Backpacks: Look for those that are non-toxic and when possible, biodegradable or recyclable.
- Hadaki products are stylish and are made with eco-friendly, free of AZO and Phthalates and other harmful chemicals. Hadaki – Buy Here
- Dabbawalla Backpacks are made from neoprene, are lead, PVC and Phthalate free, exceeding CPSIA safety standards. are made with materials that are 100% toxic free. They are fun and cute, making any child smile. Dabbawalla Bags – Buy Here
5. And more: And if your child could use a little more focus or concentration, try 21 Drops. They provide essential oils that can boost focus and concentration, inspire and more. 21 Drops – Buy Here
Do you plan on making back-to-school school supply shopping greener?