When attempting to live a healthy lifestyle, many people think that the key is to take things that they love out of their lives. The truth is this is probably the worst strategy. This is not to say that you should indulge all the time, but it is about balance. Incorporating more healthful things into your life leaves less room for the less healthy things. Further, depriving yourself of things you love is a very negative approach…which can ultimately lead to a self-defeating situation.
So, what is a better mentality when it comes to being healthy? Try an additive approach and a little inspiration. Finding ways to add in healthy things in a positive, optimistic way can often be highly rewarding…not only physically, but mentally as well. Further, the more you find ways to be inspired (as opposed to forced) into a healthy lifestyle, the easier it is and the more you will want to do it. Here are a few things to try:
- Add Journaling into Your Life: If you don’t already keep a journal, now is a great time to start. Journaling allows you to get your thoughts and feelings out of your head. It provides a very therapeutic outlet where you can find inspiration from yourself and the things you journal about.
- Add in ‘You’ Time: Often, we run around all day without a moment to stop. Unfortunately, this leaves very little time for ourselves. Start allotting a portion of every day for you. Take a walk, go for a run, go ice skating…do something you enjoy that is active. You’ll be surprised how inspired you’ll become.
- Add In Foods with More Nutritional Value: Part of the reason we find ourselves craving bad foods as that we don’t eat enough good foods. Adding in healthier foods that provide more nutritional value makes us less hungry, ultimately helping us crave less. Read ingredient labels and see how many vitamins and minerals the food contains. Eat whole foods like vegetables, fruit and grains. Eat lean proteins that give you the protein you need.
- Add a Healthy Hobby: Finding a hobby that inspires you to be healthy is a great way to get you in the right mindset. For instance, try a healthy cooking class to find simple tricks to eating healthy. Further, taking classes where we meet other individuals interested in similar hobbies or topics is always a great way to gain support in our endeavors.
- Add in Some Love: Ever notice how when you first fall in love, you are more inspired to look good and feel good? Whether it be with a pet or a human, find ways to bring back some ‘newness’ into your relationships by finding new activities to enjoy together, having weekly dates at the park, or cuddling up on a cold night. Let the endorphins of love inspire you.
Being healthy doesn’t have to be negative…it should feel great. Inspire yourself to be motivated towards a healthier body and a healthier mind by adding in healthy aspects to your life! What have you added into your life to be healthy?
- Learn How to Read Ingredient Labels
- Learn about the Importance of Vitamins and Minerals
- Learn about Why You Need Protein, Carbs and Fat in Your Diet
- Can Journaling Assist You in Being Healthy?