For parents looking for healthier options for Halloween, there’s good news: tons of brands are providing healthier options. Watch my segment on Better Connecticut on how to make your Halloween Party and/or Trick-or-Treating treats healthier.
Regardless if you are shopping for a Halloween Party or for hand outs for trick-or-treaters, there are some key things to consider when choosing products.
- Choose products with high-quality ingredients (whole ingredients are best)
- Choose all-natural when possible
- Look for foods sweetened naturally with fruit juice or cane sugar, instead of those that contain highly processed sugars such as high fructose corn syrup
- And look for foods that are low in saturated fats and contain no trans fats
The Halloween Party
- Hint Water: Instead of serving soda or other soft-drinks, opt for flavored water. Hint water has just enough flavor to go beyond bland water, but without the added sugar or unnatural ingredients you typically find in soda and other soft drinks. Their flavors are delicious.
- Planters Pumpkin Spiced Almonds: Almonds are loaded with healthy fats and will fill kids up so they are less inclined to eat a lot of junk food. Planters Pumpkin Spice Almonds, however, also have a sweet pumpkin flavor to appeal to the sweet tooths of your favorite gremlins.
- Hummuz Crispz: A great alternative to traditional chips, Hummuz Crispz are made with garbanzo flour and are great for dips, hummus and salsa. Mediterranean Snacks have a lot of great products that are gluten-free.
- Stretch Island Fruit Company: These fruit snacks are all natural and delicious. They contain fiber and are made with real fruit. Great for dessert or a quick sugar-fix for the troops.
- Crispy Green and Funky Monkey: Both Crispy Green and Funky Monkey are freeze dried fruit products. They are all-natural and nutritious. Personally, I love Crispy Green’s mango and pineapple flavors.
- Lucy’s: In case you have goblins who are gluten-sensitive or intolerant, Lucy’s offers cookies and cakes that are gluten-free and delicious.
- Andean Dream Quinoa Cookies: The super-grain, quinoa, has made it into the cookie batter. These cookies are also gluten-free and are made with the wholesome South American grain.
- KIND Snacks: KIND Snack Minis are all-natural and are made with healthy nuts and fruit. They are the perfect size for trick-or-treaters and will fill up tummies and provide good nutrition along the way.
- Glee Gum: Glee Gum comes in a trick-or-treater variety bag filled with lots of different flavors. Glee Gum is made the old-fashioned Chiclet style and is all-natural, containing no artificial sweeteners or chemicals.
- YumEarth Organic Gummy Bears: YumEarth makes a lot of candy products with organic fruit juice. I love Gummy Bears and was thrilled to find these at my local Whole Foods.
- Endangered Species Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is a better option than milk, as it is higher in fiber and protein and contains less sugar than milk chocolate. Endangered Species is probably one of the best chocolates out there.
- Annie’s Homegrown Halloween Bunny Grahams: Annie’s makes a lot of great products that are organic and all-natural, but these are perfect for Halloween. Their Bunny Grahams are tasty and aren’t super sweet.
- Snyder’s Pretzel Packs:Snyder’s pretzels are low in sugar and low in fat. They won’t create a huge sugar rush, which makes them a perfect treat for the little ones.
Are you planning on making your Halloween a tad healthier? What products do you like to hand out to trick-or-treaters?