Never will I forget the day when I was getting my weekly ‘mani and pedi’ in a Manhattan nail salon, when two big, burly, tough-looking construction workers entered the salon to do the very same thing. Without a thought, they headed straight for the two open pedicure stations next to me, ripped off their stinky construction boots, sat down in the chairs and plopped their feet into the bubbling hot water. These two men were obviously regulars, as they addressed the nail technicians by first name and ‘knew the drill’ so to speak. Over the next hour or so, they looked completely at ease, enjoying the treatments…they were naturals.
Just this past week, history repeated itself. I was in the nail salon getting a manicure and I witnessed two policemen getting manicures. Apparently, they too were regulars, as the nail technicians who were working on their nails knew them by name and were chatting with them as if they were the best of friends.
I’m not saying that I never thought men should get manicures or pedicures, but it was the fact that THESE men were getting them; AND were comfortable enough to do so together. With one fell swoop, they debunked the stereotype that only gay or metro-sexual men indulge in this luxurious experience. Now don’t get me wrong, these aren’t my stereotypes. These are stereotypes that a lot of men have (including my husband…whom I love dearly). This prompted me to give men (and the women who love them) a good list of reasons to get manicures and pedicures:
- Sexy Factor: Let’s face it, when a man takes pride in the way they look, it is sexy. Granted, being obsessed about one’s looks is NOT attractive, but taking pride in one’s appearance says he cares just enough.
- It Feels Good: Although the actual manicures and pedicures feel good on their own, most come with a mini-massage component which makes them feel that much more wonderful.
- Stress Release: Taking an hour or so to get a manicure and pedicure can give a man some down time to relax and take his mind off some of the pressing issues he has to deal with. This is good for a healthy heart!
- Healthy Feet and Hands: During pedicures, dead skin is exfoliated away, helping to diminish callusesand potential dead skin build-up that can lead to bigger problems down the line. During both manicures and pedicures, the cuticles are cleaned up, which eliminates painful and unsightly hang nails.
- It Looks Good: If a man is tough on his hands and feet (construction workers are a great example of this), they can end up looking a bit worn and unattractive. Getting regular manicures and pedicures will help keep hands and feet looking their best at all times.
- A Softer Touch: This one really benefits women. Getting manicures and pedicures promotes softer skin on the hands and feet, which makes his touch that much sweeter.
So, if you are a woman who is dieing to get her man into the nail salon, tell the story of the construction workers and police officers. If you are a man who has always turned your nose up at the idea, think again. There are a lot of ‘manly men’ out there who seem to think it is manly enough. Do you have any other reasons that you think men should indulge?